What's on my mind.

07 September 2007

The Power of Words

A little while ago I was chatting with Sarah.

me: It will be OK. It will all work out.
(does that help?)

Sarah: Yes it does.
Words have power. :D

me: They do.


I was asking because sometimes that's all I need to hear, a little assurance, and other times I want to say something like "No it won't. It never just works out. WTF are you talking about? Have you been listening?"

Her response got me thinking about the power of words. Both when spoken and unspoken. Specifically that words can be taken back. Funny how cruel words can't be taken back, at least not easily, but kind words can be yanked away without a moments pause.

One of my problems is just that -kind words that were wrenched away. My long-ago ex-fiancé used to tell me I was beautiful. And look at me like I was Aphrodite herself. When he said it was over that ceased to be true. I was only beautiful because he thought I was and he only thought I was because he loved me.

I know I gave his words that power. But I don't know how to take it back.

No comments: