What's on my mind.

26 April 2007

Weekend Assignment #162

Weekend Assignment #162: Reincarnation is a fact and you are going to come back as some type of animal. What kind would you prefer and why?

Extra Credit: Do you think you have good Karma or bad? Do you believe in Karma?


I have to agree with John that coming back as a house cat would be pretty sweet. However, since the bonus question is about karma I will assume we are talking about Hindu/Buddhist type reincarnation and it is a cyclical thing (i.e. you keep coming back, hopefully, building better karma through good actions and moving closer to nirvana each time). In that case, as a cat you would have to do something to create good karma. This means you would have to like your humans or something else that would make the sweet life a little less sweet.

I think coming back as a butterfly would work out fairly well. Assuming you survived to hatch, you could be eaten as a caterpillar (neutral to good for the karma). Assuming you survive the larval stage and pupal stage, as a butterfly, or pretty moth, by merely existing you can bring a smile to someone's* face (building good karma), fertilize flowers (good for karma?), and possibly feed a bird, spider, lizard, etc(neutral to good for karma). This is the easiest way I can think of to get closer to nirvana, just being pretty.

I don't really believe in karma (because I don't believe in this type of reincarnation) but I agree with John that what goes around, comes around. I try to be nice, polite, friendly because I want people to treat me that way. You can't expect people to be nice to you if you're always an SOB.

*Grammer note: should that be "some one's" face? Or is "someone's" correct?

No comments: